Wednesday, May 25, 2011

REUSE - making baby toys

I'm planning to make all of Clara's solid foods, sew some of her clothes, and make her some toys. My in-laws gave me a sewing machine for Mother's Day (awesome), and this baby block project was the first thing I did with it.

Only I had a twist! Making it an eco-friendly project by reusing discarded/unused things around the house. The fabric is from cloth napkins my mom had in the 70's and hadn't used in decades. Sewn inside the soft blocks are old cat toys (my cats never liked these bell-in-ball toys, but somehow we ended up with a bunch of them) or nicely crinkly packaging (from a wipes package and something of unknown origin I picked out of the trash - ha) - I was especially pleased to be able to use these things because they couldn't be recycled, so they would otherwise just be tossed.
Clara likes them!

What have you reused lately?


9 comments:

Darla said...

Very smart! Just look how Clara is growing...precious.

Cindy/mom/g-mom said...

Martha Stewart --- move over. Garrdens, cooks, crfts, motherhood . . . what is next?!

Janet, The Queen of Seaford said...

well done Ginger!!! I especially like crinkle addition...good thinking!!

Lisa Blair said...

Good job! Where did you learn to sew? I'd love to learn one day.

Ginger said...

Darla - she's an amazon baby! definitely did not get my tiny-person genes!

Lisa - I don't know the first thing about sewing, so that cracks me up. I just got a machine, spent an hour+ figuring out how to thread it, and am now working on sewing a straight line :-)

The Sage Butterfly said...

Fantastic! Clara seems to like them very much. I bet she is fascinated by them.

I have discovered a way to reuse broken clay pots...I may post about it sometime.

Have a happy Memorial Day weekend!

Dirt Princess said...

My mom always made things for us. I can't wait for the day that I can have a sewing machine and the space to use it! Good for you. I can't wait to see your other sewing projects

louise spell said...

I have just found your blog and is very good. I am right down here b elow you in Collins,ms. you might like to take a look at my blog. louise-spell.blogspot.com

Wicked Gardener said...

Those are brilliant! Love the patterns on the napkins. I'd say post the directions on how to make them online, but since I can't sew, it would be a waste! I just need to find a friend like you I can coax into making me stuff . . .