Wednesday, May 18, 2011

The Second R, and a daylily question

As stated in my Earth Day post, I've got recycling down, but need to work on the first two R's. This quick redo of some nasty old plastic yard chairs is an example of reusing. I was seriously tempted to chunk them after scrubbing them and realized they weren't just dirty, but stained.


supplies: stuff to clean the chair as best I could, Valspar plastic spray paint, baby monitor


I decided I'd try some of the new plastic spray paint instead. Spray paint certainly isn't eco-friendly, but I reasoned it was better than (a) chunking these chairs into the landfill and (b) buying new plastic yard chairs when I already had two perfectly functional ones.


I'm pleased with how they turned out. It took 2 full cans of spray paint and the coverage isn't absolutely perfect since there was so much dark staining... but the spray paint worked fine (just like any other) and numerous people actually stopped at the side of the road and told me how good they look!

(bowl of just-harvested sugar snap peas on the table. yum!)

On an unrelated note, I transplanted a bunch of daylilies last week. I know you aren't supposed to transplant perennials that are about to bloom, but I had no choice. Now they are all yellowed and look terrible. Will they put out more growth this year after that dies back? Is there anything I can do to help them look better and get reestablished quickly?


Hope everyone's having a great week! 2 more days until the weekend - WOO HOO!

9 comments:

Janet, The Queen of Seaford said...

Your chairs are great!! I have four green chairs that are really sturdy and comfy....maybe we will paint ours.
Your daylilies .....water water water....my dogs ran through some that were just planted, roots bare for a while. I halfheartedly made a hole in the soil and stuck them in. (granted they are small) and the soil has washed away a few times and the daylilies are doing fine. They may not look great this year--- but keep them watered, they should be ok.

Wicked Gardener said...

You've inspired me to paint mine too. They look great! I'd water the daylilies alot as well. They will probably come back just fine next year.

Randy Emmitt said...

Ginger,

Janet is right water is all they need. Hard to kill day lilies, I once kept one in a 3 gallon pot for many years neglected it lived just fine with no help.

Lisa Blair said...

Love the chairs! Great job!

The Sage Butterfly said...

You did a great job on those chairs...they look great! I love the red...and I think you made the right choice about painting them vs. putting them in the landfill. My experience is that lilies are very tough and usually come back.

Catherine@AGardenerinProgress said...

The chairs look brand new! I hadn't heard of that type of spray paint before.
I agree with everyone else, daylilies are pretty tough. I've transplanted them in all types of weather and they always have pulled through.

Dirt Princess said...

Looks great. I love the baby monitor. Glad to see you are still going at it. Those daylilies will make it just fine

Genevieve said...

Wow, you did an amazing job with the chairs! I have been looking for some like that for our yard and I never thought to redo some used ones, I will have to be on the look out now!

Jan said...

Great job on the chairs...congrat's on the peas;-)